Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Warrior Princess Days

Today I just want to be real, open and relatable. I haven’t run since last Saturday at my Half- marathon. It was such a beautiful fall day and I was excited for a short 13.1 mile run after all of my LONG marathon training. I made my goal of 10 mins per mile putting me at an end time of 2 hours and 10 mins. I made my way to the starting line and was off at a fairly good pace. Just a few short minutes into the race I felt an intense pain in my hamstring, as though I was being stabbed. I know my face must have showed pain but I did not stop and tried not to flinch. Mind over matter, mind over matter, “DO NOT STOP” I told myself. Mile after agonizing mile I tried to entertain my mind, to think of things to keep my mind off of the pain. It would work for a little while and then the stabbing would come back. “How am I ever going to run a full 26.2 miles in just 2 weeks when I can barely make it 13 today?” I thought.. in response a still small voice whispered “ Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow has enough worries of its own” The words dug deeper into my soul as I realized how true this was in things so much bigger than a race. How many times had I worried about an upcoming event while missing on the beauties of today? Hill after rolling hill I thought about those words. Finally I came to the finish line about 10 minutes after my goal but was happy that despite the pain I finished the race. Since then I have been soaking, icing and rolling my hamstring. I have been taking the week off trying to let it heal until I run my last pre-marathon long run on Friday. The words I heard during my race have been exactly what I needed to hear this week as I have faced obstacle after obstacle, challenge after challenge and almost non-stop adversity. Do you ever have one of those days, no one of those weeks when you feel like you will break if one more thing happens? That is what this week has been like, but you know what I love? I love that God is control, that God assures me that I do NOT need to worry about tomorrow, that He will NEVER give me more than I can handle AND He works all things together for the good of those who love Him! When I get knocked down or face adversity my first reaction is to cry or get angry, I have learned it is okay to feel those feeling- but just for a moment, then I look at what was happening as something that is going to make me grow, to stretch me and give me another life experience that can hopefully be used one day to help someone else going through the same thing. I like to picture myself as a Warrior, you know Xena the princess warrior ? Well I pretend I am a warrior and I let the adversity I am facing prepare me for battle, and as I know the battle I am preparing for is not really against flesh and blood, but against the enemy, but guess what? In this story Xena has the BEST Armor ever created! I envision the belt of Truth around my waist- Truth about who I am and who God is, I have a pink breastplate of righteousness guarding me, I put on my big sparkly silver boots that give me peace, the peace that passes all understanding which I cling tightly in in every situation, I grab my shield of faith which I use to distinguish the darts that fly at me from all directions, but I am protected because of my faith. I put on my cute helmet of salvation and draw out my sturdy, silver sword of the spirit, which is God’s word. I head into battle daily but I am not alone, my armor protects me and I can now handle adversity and truly not worry about tomorrow..

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this Michelle. God is definitely in control (when we will just LET Him!) That is how it works for my Arbonne business....trust Him to bless me and depend on Him for the results. I try to do it without Him....doesn't work! I always enjoy your expediences from running...keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber! I glad you could relate! Running and Faith and Arbonne are are so relatable :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete